The following conditions will be very possible for us who are always on the activity by using a car. Especially if our distance is very far on every day or over the terrain that tends to be extreme. At any time when you feel the instability control in your car, in the form of a car direction tendency to point left or right side without driver intervention through the steering wheel, it is very likely that you will need to spooring your tires.
This cannot be ignored because this means danger. The car can get off track so that it can be dangerous for us as riders, it will also be dangerous for other drivers coming from the opposite direction. If at any time when you drive your car at a certain speed and feel the vibration on the steering wheel, it is very likely that your car needs to do a balancing on each tires. The following comprehensive review will provide by Cars Assistant:
What is spooring and balancing?
Spooring and balancing are two different things. Spooring is related to the direction the car will always go (left or right). While balancing is related to the balance of the tire in spinning. Spooring is a checking of wheel alignment by making adjustments that include suspension, steering and vehicle frame components. These three things will influence the direction of the car when driving.
Why is spooring and balancing needed?
After we drive a car several tens of thousands of kilometers or have been through extreme terrain, the components of the car steering mechanism are likely to have undergone changes, wear or damage. While balancing is needed when the condition of the rim or tire is not perfect in a circle. This condition even though in plain view is not visible, but will give a sensation of discomfort in driving even tends to be dangerous for driving safety.
What is done in the spooring process?
In the act of Spooring, generally mechanics will do three types of adjustments, namely:
What is Camber?
Camber is the tilt angle of the wheel to the vertical line when viewed from the front of the vehicle and is one part of the spooring process.
Camber consists of three parts:
• Positive camber is when the top of the wheel tilts out
• Negative camber is when the top of the wheel is tilted inward
• Zero Camber which is when the top of the wheel is parallel to the vertical line (precise adjustment)
The main function of Camber are:
• Increase stability
• Increase Handling
The effects of Camber in an incorrect position:
• Cars are attracted to one side
• Wear on one side of the inside / outside of the wheel surface
• Wear on wheel bearings
• Wear on the ball joint
What is Caster?
Caster is the slope angle of the steering axis when viewed from the side.
Caster consists of three parts:
• Positive Caster is when the top of the steering axis is tilted towards the rear
• Negative caster which is when the top of the steering axis tilts towards the front
• Zero Caster which is when the top of the steering axis is parallel to the vertical line (precise adjustment)
The main function of Caster:
• Helps steering control
• Helps the front wheel to return to straight position after being deflected
The effects of the caster in an incorrect position:
• Cars are attracted to one side
• Steer feel hard / heavy
• Steer to float so it is difficult to maintain stability
• Steer not back after turning
What is Toe?
Toe is the difference in distance between the right and left front wheels with the back when viewed from the top of the vehicle.
Toe consists of three parts:
• Positive Toe (Toe in) that is when the front wheels are closer than the rear
• Negative Toe (Toe out) which is when the front wheels are closer than the front
• Zero Toe which is when the wheels are straight from each other (precise adjustment)
The main function of Toe:
• As a Camber thrust (camber correction) power remover
• Increase braking power
The effects of Toe in an incorrect position, namely:
• The direction of the car is not controlled. The car tend to the right or left side.
• Wear on one side of the inside / outside of the tires surface
Then what about balancing?
In the balancing process, what is done is to balance the tire weight on the rim between the left and right. It will try to restore balance to the rim and tires of the car. To find out of this, a special balancing tool is needed. The imperfections of the circumference on the rim and tires are very difficult to find through visible inspection. After the mechanic finds one of the parts that causes it, then they will try to add mass to that part. If that happens to a tire, then there is no other way than to do a tire replacement.
What are the consequences of spooring and balancing that are done incorrectly?
If the spooring and balancing process is carried out not in the right way, the condition of the vehicle will vibrate, the steering wheel shake left and right. of course this will be very uncomfortable and also dangerous. therefore, this action should be carried out by experts.
What needs to be considered before deciding to do spooring and balancing is to check the steering mechanism component spare parts. Required to ensure that each component spare parts in perfect condition because if one of the components is damaged, spooring and balancing will be a waste.
Many benefits can be obtained after doing spooring and balancing. The steering wheel will work if it is moved and the vibration on the steering wheel will disappear at every speed we go. In terms of safety, this action will ensure that each component is back in top condition as well as the wheel bolts that are firmly installed. In addition to comfort and safety in driving, another benefit is that the tire tread will wear out in a balanced state, not just outside or inside. This will affect the age of the car tires.